<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

The Price of Having Ideas 

James Farmer's post depicts quite well a common ethical dilemma in organizations. Does one have the right and responsibility of proposing a good idea, even if it goes against the views of some direct managers.

My comment to James' post:

Hello James,
I can strongly relate to what you’re describing as I am an internal e-learning consultant working for a community college.


First, there shouldn’t be anything wrong with expressing an idea with the goal of improving the e-learning processes in place. Your idea may be rejected, but proposing it shouldn’t be seen as threatening. I believe that your employer (the university) is probably comfortable with this. Tell me if I’m wrong but I think that the manager you are refering to is the person who selected or is in charge of the LMS. If your suggestion wasn’t pinpointing a critical weakness, the director wouldn’t have told you anything about it. You can see the aggressive reaction as an acknowledgement of the relevance of what you’re proposing.

Disciplinary action? I don’t think so. Who would lose the most form it? A dedicated employee working towards better quality or a manager trying to hide the weaknesses of a system under his/her responsibility?

Please keep going.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?